Italian concert pianist and recording artist Giacomo Scinardo just became a Sony artist,
He has performed as soloist with different orchestras including the “George Enescu” Symphony Orchestra in Bucharest and the Kiev Symphony Orchestra. He performed and taught master classes throughout the world including the United States, Asia, Italy, Germany, France, Greece, Holland, Switzerland, Scotland, Ireland, England, Spain, Croatia, Ukraine, Moldavia, Romania, Turkey and Russia. The performances have also been broadcast on international classical radio stations, including RaiRadio3, BBC Radio3, Radio France, and Radio Romania Muzical. At a very young age, Scinardo received many awards and won over 20 national and international piano competitions, including the International “Mendelssohn Piano” Competition. Since 2007 he appeared in hundreds of concerts at noteworthy venues including, notably, the Sale Cortot in Paris, Concertgebouw in Amsterdam, Rachmaninoff Concert Hall at the Moscow Tchaikovsky Conservatory, the Ateneul Roman in Bucharest, Auditorium of the Swiss Radio in Lugano, RAI Auditorium in Turin, the Siam Ratchada Auditorium of Bangkok, and the Detroit Institute of Arts. He gave masterclasses and recitals at the prestigious Gnessin State Musical College and Moscow Tchaikovsky Conservatory, as well as the University of Michigan School of Music-Ann Arbor.
His recording of the Mussorgsky’s Complete Piano Works” for the label Dynamic that has recently been released, and was a best seller No. 1 in Italy among all new releases, and a best seller at No. 7 in the US. The latest CD dedicated to Satie music is now being digitally streamed more than 2 millions times. He also just finished recording the Four Piano Sonatas of the contemporary French/Lebanese composer Bechara El-Khoury for the label Naxos that will be released in the 2019. He graduated with top honors at a very young age from the Conservatory “Bellini” in his hometown of Catania, Italy, where he studied with Epifanio Comis. He also did further study with Phillip Entremont and Leslie Howard. Giacomo is currently piano professor at the Campobasso State Conservatory in Italy.
A place full of history and art, Palazzo Biscari is one of the most important festival venues, considering that the first task of Artòpia is to spread and share culture. It has been created at the behest of Paternò Castello’s family from Princes of Biscari starting from the end of 1600 (and for the following century), after the catastrofic earthquake of 11th of january 1693. Among famous visitors of this palace we must remember, more than the others, Johann Wolfgang Goethe that, during his journey in Italy, has been welcomed by the Prince of Biscari the 3rd May 1787, just after his father death. Inside, you can see the “Salone delle feste” (“Feasts’ Salon”), in Rococò style, with complex decorations and mirrors, and a lot of paintings painted by important artist of the italian end-century school. So the Palace becomes a place of art, where you can create art.
An inspiring place where students can have lesson or exhibition completely immersed in local religious art.
An opportunity to see some uniques artifacts while you walk around the palace. The Diocesan Museum of Catania primarily preserves the historical furniture of the Cathedral, thus becoming a museum of the Cathedral and of the bishop's see. Possibly subject to enlargement is the acquisition of furnishings and works that can fully attest to the historical, cultural and religious events of the vast territory of the diocese. The diocesan works acquired at the museum attest mainly to events and moments in the life of some churches, regular and secular, of the territory.
A careful restoration carried out in compliance with the morphological and typological characteristics of the building and the destination of this museum, have allowed to give the right emphasis and the right location to the works of art that are collected and kept in it.
With a very beautiful baroque courtyard the palace is an awesome locations for concerts. Today, the Palazzo della Cultura is used as a venue for every kind of culltural event, like pictures exhibitions. Also it has many historical rooms that need to be seen. After the terrible earthquake of 1693, the remains of the former Monastery of San Placido and the oldest of the Platamone palace (already donated by the Platamone family to the Benedictines in the fifteenth century) were integrated for the construction of the current Palace of Culture. The only late-medieval testimony of the building is represented by the loggia, which overlooks a small balcony that seems almost set against the backdrop of the monastery courtyard.
The rows of arches that run along the rectangular plan seem to embrace the entire building. At the center you can still see the emblem of the Platamone family, which represents a mountain with three shells and a lily on top.
Sacred place with an astonishing internal architecture and view. The church is located opposite the north elevation of the cathedral, and occupies, along with the annexed former Monastery (now owned by the city), the entire block bounded by Via Raddusa, via Santa Maria del Rosario and via Sant'Agata. The building is one of the main baroque monuments of the city, by Giovanni Battista Vaccarini.
The soft canvas of the façade, moved by the rhythm of light waves, captures the attention otherwise distracted by the other baroque machines of the Cathedral, the Elephant fountain and of the municipal building. The building that
we see today rests on the ruins of the ancient church and convent dedicated to Sant'Agata, in 1620, by Erasmo Cicala and collapsed because of the earthquake of 1693.
Teatro Machiavelli is located in Catania inside Palazzo San Giuliano (San Giuliano’s Palace). Originally it was used as Theatre for Opera dei Pupi (a particular and original show of marionettes typical of the place). Founded in 1864 immediately hosted several shows with Sicilian dialectal companies. In 1903 the theater was destroyed by a fire; reopened later, in 1906 the management was entrusted to Domenico (Micio) Grasso. Definitively closed in 1912. The premises of the historic Catania theater have been recovered and re-assigned to their theatrical function in 2010 thanks to the intervention of the University of Catania, which owns it; the Machiavelli Theater was reopened to the public on October 17, 2014 and has since been managed by the Association of Social Promotion Free Entry founded in 2009 by the director Lamberto Puggelli.
The Bellini Civic Museum is a museum based in Catania, housed in the first floor rooms of the Palazzo Gravina Cruyllas, one of the many noble residences of the Princes of Palagonia. It occupies the house where the composer Vincenzo Bellini was born on 3 November 1801 and spent the first sixteen years of his life. The Belliniano Museum was inaugurated on May 5, 1930 in the presence of Vittorio Emanuele III. The birthplace of Vincenzo Bellini, which has become a museum, is part of the adjacent palace of the Gravina Cruyllas, originally built on the ruins of the ancient Odéon and the Greek Theater. The museum, which occupies three rooms and two small rooms, is organized chronologically: the apartment, just five rooms, is occupied entirely by memorabilia that retrace the life of Bellini and his family; paintings, books, original scores, musical instruments and the composer's death mask. Of particular interest is the collection of Bellinian autographs, including numerous sketches.
The construction of the Duomo